Sunday, October 05, 2008

Toll Booths of the Eastern Coast

Baltimore, the city from which Frederick Douglass escaped. When I take the train from here to New York, I always think of it as the Frederick Douglass Journey, since his escape took roughly the same route by rail:







------------------------------


A tunnel under the Chesapeake. So, within the past month, I've been both above and below the Bay:







------------------------------


The toll to get out of the tunnel:








------------------------------


$2.00 to leave Baltimore:










------------------------------


20 minutes later, another toll booth:








------------------------------


$5.00 to get out of Maryland:








------------------------------


$4.00 if you want to go through Delaware:








------------------------------


An hour later, another:








------------------------------


Not a ticket from the cops for stopping. You get a ticket for the toll that you pay on the other end. I didn't know this the first time that I used a turnpike.








------------------------------


Here it is.:








------------------------------


Counting the cars...








------------------------------


On the New Jersey Turnpike!








------------------------------


What do you get when you play the Sopranos theme backwards?








------------------------------


A smallish female professor driving north on the New Jersey turnpike to a women's history conference. (As opposed to a big mob boss driving south to go to his big suburban home. Geddit? Hello? Is this thing on?)








------------------------------


A different view of the Big City. Speaking of the Sopranos, sometimes the bad guys dump the dead bodies here on Law and Order.








------------------------------


Getting into New York. See the green sign over there on the right. It says I-95, exit. That's were I was going. I had to get over four lanes of this traffic to get there. Surprisingly, I did it. New York drivers aren't as bad as you'd expect. They let me in when I signalled. No cussing, horns, or birds involved. Nor did their world end. Hear that Boston drivers?








------------------------------


The cost of getting into New York by car? $8.00.










------------------------------


By the time I could take pictures again, it was the next day.


Berkshire mountains:







------------------------------


A Little Berks in the background. (Geddit? A little mountain in the Berkshires is a Little Berks. I was there for the "Little Berks". I crack myself up!)








------------------------------


Leaf Peeping! I'd have taken more leaf pictures, but I used to live in New England. I have leaf pictures. The pictures seldom capture the sense of being in all of that light shining from the sky and the leaves.








------------------------------


NEXT: Lost in Yonkers.

2 comments:

dykewife said...

geez...no wonder so many americans either stay home or fly. they can't afford to be nickeled and dimed to death on the roadways!

i think there's only one toll road in canada (there could be more in the east that i'm not aware of) and it's the bridge to the maritimes. otherwise we don't pay to go from province to province regardless of how urban the area is.

Clio Bluestocking said...

This seems to be phenomenon of the northeast, in particular. Between Baltimore and Maine, they nickle and dime you at every opportunity! I think it has something to do with the constant need for upkeep as a result of snow, and a desire to shift the cost of the upkeep to tourists.

 

Unless noted otherwise, copyright for all written content held by Clio Bluestocking.